Face masks are all of the rage right now and happen to be one of my favorite skin care products. They’re easy to apply, fun to use and are great at delivering high concentrations of ingredients for targeted results.
Should everyone use a face mask? Absolutely. Face masks are the perfect skin care treatment to help you with your skin care concerns. The right face mask can help plump and hydrate skin, deliver anti-aging ingredients, remove excess oils and even help improve the appearance of your pores. There are some that even help pull out impurities. It’s also the perfect way to pamper yourself up a little too!
There are many different options when it comes to masks. Some may be used once or twice a week, and others just twice a month. Not to mention, both men and women can benefit significantly from using a mask. There are mainly two types of masks: Sheet Masks & Clay Masks. So what is the difference?
Sheet Masks vs. Clay Masks
- Sheet masks, which are shaped to fit most faces and which are laid against the skin, smoothed to ensure contact and left in place for a specific amount of time. These are not washed off.
- Clay masks, aka wash off masks, which can comprise creams, mud and clay options, among others.
Both groups contain materials that can be absorbed by the skin to deliver a lot of benefits.
The Basic Differences
Why recommend both? Well, let’s just look at each of the mask’s basic functions.
The sheet masks are made of paper or thick cloth-like materials. They have holes for the eyes, nose and mouth. They are usually saturated in humectants and emollients known as essences. These bind water to your skin and give it a deeply hydrated and dewy appearance. They will often have other ingredients that can include active ingredients, botanicals and even brightening agents, but they never include oils. In fact, experts say that sheet masks target hydrating and brightening.
Mud masks, also often called “wash off masks” are meant to decongest the skin, deeply cleansing and refining pores. That is why they are so often suggested to those with enlarged pores, acne breakouts or dull skin. If you have dry skin, many mud masks can dry it out further, unless they include a moisturizing oil. They give a deeper cleanse and exfoliate better.
How Do I Choose What is Right for Me?
For those with dry or sensitive skin, large pores, and even periodic acne breakouts (as well as normal and aging skin), sheet masks have a lot to offer. They are a staple in many Asian beauty routines and they too can be found in an array of formulations. The most common are to “cleanse, moisturize, or tighten your skin.”
Yet, if you ask the experts, most say that the sheet masks are not a replacement for traditional mud masks, and vice versa. Instead, you have to think of the sheet masks as serums, “packed full of vitamins, amino acids, and minerals”. Yet, they are not a replacement for a serum either.
So, to choose a mask:
- Start with your skin type
- Select your desired result
- Use the product, but with the caveat that you may have to moisturize or apply other treatments afterward to preserve the results and restore balance to the skin
Here are a couple of my favorites, no matter which type of mask you prefer!
Lumière de Vie Moisture Intense Sheet Masque
Incredible skin demands an incredible masque. Lumière de Vie Moisture Intense Facial Masque is the definitive treatment that is formulated with aloe to intensely moisturize while reducing oxidative damage from the everyday elements. Utilizing the powerful hydrating effects of hyaluronic acid, this specialized facial masque instantly revitalizes dry, aged skin on contact.
- Utilizes aloe to provide intense moisture
- Formulated with hyaluronic acid to promote skin hydration
- Gives skin a smoother and softer-looking appearance
- Designed to be used in between spa visits to give skin a mini-facial
- Conveniently packaged with two masques for bi-weekly treatment
Cellular Laboratories De-Aging Lifting Facial Masque
Over time, skin begins to lose the integrity it once knew when younger. Pores enlarge, wrinkles and fine lines deepen. The more makeup and debris that build up, the quicker these signs of aging appear. Deep clean and lessen the effects of these age-telling signs with a masque. Pull out debris with an anti-aging formula. Work to maintain smooth skin and lessen the appearance of wrinkles by using Cellular Laboratories.
Revolutionary, purifying sheet masque helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, promotes normal circulation and promotes softer skin texture overnight. Infused with Matrixyl® 3000 — which supports normal collagen production, and supports natural skin structure as it lifts, firms, brightens and hydrates distressed skin, restoring that youthful-looking glow.
Treat yourself to this calming sheet masque. Restore your glow and youthful complexion as the masque penetrates the layers of the skin. Recommended to be used two to three times per week and convenient for travel, this small pouch packs a large punch. Skin needs special attention for the abuse it endures throughout everyday activity. Bring back the moisture, support collagen and increase smoothness with Cellular Laboratories De-Aging Lifting Facial Masque.
Lumière de Vie Volcanic Exfoliating Mask
Lumière de Vie Volcanic Exfoliating Mask is formulated to detoxify, enhance skin’s glow, and dramatically improve tone and radiance. Utilizing rare earth elements and infused with AHA complex and the natural oil-absorbing power of kaolin and bentonite clays, this treatment creates a balanced detoxifying/exfoliating action that leaves skin glowing, revitalized and healthy. This intensive treatment will reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as brighten and smooth skin’s texture.
- Exfoliates the skin for a refined, smoother, more radiant exposure
- Promotes healthy cell renewal for fresher, more vibrant-looking skin
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces the appearance of imperfections, irregularities and signs of aging
- Soothes and hydrates the skin with allantoin, sweet almond oil, olive fruit oil and beta-glucan
- Antioxidants from green tea and bilberry help reduce the effects of environmental stress on the skin
Skintelligence® Facial Firming Masque
All it takes is 12 minutes for tighter, toned and smoother-looking skin! The Skintelligence Facial Firming Masque promotes circulation and improved skin texture, and can help to temporarily reduce the visual effects of aging, stress and the environment. With this firming mask, you get a deep clean to remove extra oil and dirt from the pores while the natural ingredients, such as aloe leaf extract and lavender oil, help to soothe any irritated skin.
- Deep cleanses the pores and removes sebaceous “pore-clogging” impurities
- Tightens and tones the skin
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Smoothes skin and leaves it feeling as soft as a baby’s skin
- Easy to use; takes only 12 minutes
Now that you learned about face masks, make a point to add them into your routine!