One of the best things I have had happened in my career is meeting other beauty professionals. I am fortunate to have made friends all over the WORLD with some of THE most talented individuals out there. Aligning yourself with others in your profession is […]
I bet you’re reading this based on the title getting your attention. But, really-do you know the #1 thing you’re doing that’s fatal to your success? Keep reading to find out…
I actually did a Live Facebook video on this very subject, because I do believe it’s what is holding a lot of people back. I see it almost every day in the people on social media, or even from those I coach and mentor.
I asked my audience; How many people:
- would like to double their income?
- would like to lose weight?
- would love to get out of debt?
- long for financial independence?
- or even just want more time?
Now, I’m sure you said yes, to at least one, or maybe even more, which is great! These are all great goals that I think the majority of the population has. In fact, I’m sure you could come up with even more. We all want to make more money, spend more time with our families, be healthy and fit, and achieve financial independence!
The problem is, 80% of the population is on what Brian Tracy calls “Someday Island”. I know, we’ve all been there from time to time, but it’s the thought that will do things…someday…and on “someday” island, everyone is surrounded by the same people, and what do you think the topic is on this island? EXCUSES!!
I hear them everyday…EXCUSES! I call it excus-itis, which is extremely fatal to your success, really in anything in life. I get it, I do, and I hear it all of the time, “But you don’t understand!” Truth is, I DO understand, I’ve been there, but I also get frustrated because I see potential in others and know that they are capable of doing great things if they would just STOP blaming others and hiding behind excuses.
What are some of the things that you use as a reason why you are on “Someday Island?
- You had a messed up up childhood
- didn’t have a good education
- you don’t have any money
- everyone is critical of me
- my spouse isn’t supportive
- no one appreciates me
- the economy…
I’m sure you can fill in a few more, but whatever it is, I’m sure I’ve heard it!
Still not convinced? I love this saying “If it’s to be, it’s up to me!” Here’s another one; “Losers make excuses, winners make progress.” Ask yourself this-Is there ANYONE else who has my same excuse that is successful anyway?
Straighten your crown
I posted this on Facebook, which is really what prompted my live broadcast, as well as this article, and honestly, this isn’t the first time I’ve written about this. Check out my article “Do You Have A Case of BUSY-ITIS?”
We all have and continue to go through tough times, and they can either make you bitter or make you BETTER. It’s YOUR choice. Yes, things happen to us that are completely out of our control, but YOU decide how you respond to it. Blaming is the path of least resistance and so many times people don’t even realize they are doing it…For the next week, I want to encourage you to be aware of how many times you make excuses or blame something, or someone else for why you can’t do something. How often do you complain? Are you a victim? Your ability & willingness to discipline yourself to accept personal responsibility for your life are essential to happiness, health, success, achievement & personal growth. Don’t be a victim…
I challenged my audience after posting this picture, to go at least a week without making any excuses. I believe that if you’re aware of it, you actually can realize how often you make excuses. And it’s exercise. The more you practice, the better you’ll get! A week turns into two weeks, then a month, and then before you know it, it’s been 90 days!
No more excuses, just STOP, don’t do it!
Imagine if you would put as much energy into their goals as you did your excuses, you would really surprise yourself. Now, I will be the first to admit, that this is something that I had to learn. I used to have a victim mentality, which really is a form of excus-itis. Have you ever met a “victim” that is successful? But, what I also want you to realize is, very few people start out with advantages. Almost all of the highly successful people I know, started with NOTHING. They worked hard and created their own success.
Are you hungry for more? Then you have to take control of yourself! Self discipline is absolutely necessary! Self discipline is the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not. Self discipline is the key to personal greatness.
You have to take control of yourself which is self-mastery. Success is only possible when you can master your own emotions, appetites, and inclinations. Which leads us also to self-control. Your ability to control yourself and your actions, control what you say and do, and ensure that your behaviors are consistent with your long term goals and objectives is the mark of a superior person.
You also have to have self-denial. This requires that you deny yourself the easy pleasures, the temptations that lead so many people astray, and instead discipline yourself to do only those things that you know are rightful the long term and appropriate for the moment. I also call this stepping out of your comfort zone. So many times when things are uncomfortable, it’s human nature to put them off and stay where it’s comfortable.
Self-discipline requires delayed gratification, the ability to put off satisfaction in the short term in order to enjoy greater rewards in the long term. This is hard for so many because most are wired for instant gratification. I see so many give up before right before they see any results.
You have to be willing to take daily steps to work on your mind. You have to be willing to learn new things, and new ways of thinking and looking at things. I teach that this has to be done almost daily. Some of the things that I do are:
- Listen to audios, podcasts or videos
Anything that is inspiring or motivational. I like to do this while I’m getting ready in the morning.
- Read self development books
There are so many great books out there! I love anything by Brian Tracy, Grant Cardone, Simon Sinek Robert Kiyosaki, Tony Robbins or even Rachel Hollis to name a few.
- Focus on your goals
I suggest you have a written goal statement that you read daily. I also LOVE dream boards.
Verbalize daily affirmations. “I am” is a great way to start these. I like to say the opposite of what I am, to convince myself that I am that, An example would be: I am a great public speaker!
- Make lists
We are all busy, and I find that when I make a list of tasks I want to get done, I get more done. I also find that the busier I am, the more I get done.
- FInd a tribe
Find a group of people that encourage you! We all deserve to have people in our lives that push us to do more, to go after our dreams.
- Just do it!
Get in the habit of taking action within 5 seconds, before you can talk yourself out of it! Just do it!
Just try it, what do you have to lose?
Cosmetics-Are you really capitalizing on this BILLION DOLLAR market? The United States Cosmetic Industry is the largest in the world, estimating a total revenue of $54.89 BILLION! This industry is projected to grow 3-4% each year over the next 5 years in the United States […]
From a stylists point: Hairstylists are often faced with two options when they start their career: renting a booth or chair from a salon owner, or working for an employer on a salary or commission-based structure. Both options are good career paths for seasoned pros and those just starting out in the business, but making your choice will largely depend on your individual circumstances.
What Is A Commission-Based Stylist Job?
A commission-based stylist job is more of a career path than anything else. Under this structure you’ll work for a salon. You will be scheduled to work the way you would in any other career, on certain days and certain times. You will be paid a set rate, along with commission in this setting.
The pros of this setup are simple to see. Not only will you avoid dealing with marketing, product purchasing for retail sales, growing a clientele by yourself and other pitfalls of running your own business, but you’ll have the help and knowledge of the entire salon behind you. Some salons also help provide advanced training to their stylists and will increase stylists’ prices the more education they have.
The cons of this model are few and far between, but they do exist. If you are looking to be your own boss, make your own hours, and charge the prices you wish to charge, a commission-based salon may not be a good fit for you.
Figuring out whether commission-based salons or a booth-rental salon is the right choice for your career will largely depend on your circumstances, lifestyle and career goals. Many find the benefits and support of a commission-based salon to be the best fit for their budding careers, but everyone is different.
For salon owners it can be hard to even break even especially in a small salon atmosphere. After commissions are paid, then employee portion of taxes, unemployment, worker’s comp, lease, electric, water, phone, advertising, education, etc. So many salons struggle with keeping employees an so essentially they are training their competition.
What Is A Booth Rental Stylist Job?
A salon that offers booth rental is similar in nature to an office building. While someone owns the building, they rent out space to individual companies. As the stylist, you will rent a booth or a chair from an existing salon, and pay rent on that space.
There are several pros for this type of employment. You can set your own hours and rates, making it easier to fit work into an active and busy lifestyle. You are also your own boss and make the rules for your business.
There are also drawbacks to booth rental salons. When working in a booth rental situation, you are responsible for the upkeep of your own business. You will not have the training, marketing, support and benefits of working for an employer.
This, taking away leadership at salon level and creating a nightmare for manufacturers and distributors alike, as they now have to speak to each stylist separately in salons that once had one or two key people that made financial decisions for the team.
In the 80’s we saw the rise of the Independents, eroding the old system of commission salons where the owner hired stylists as employees and grew their business as a team-oriented effort.
Now the majority of salons nationwide is nothing more than lease spaces for anyone willing to pay their space fees. Products are harder to position in salons because every stylist can make their own decision as to what they use and sell, and education has gone by the wayside as a salon owner cannot mandate that his lessors have to attend any educational events.
Typically stylists today only come into their space when they have an appointment and could care less about education and the industry as a whole.
Some salons are forced to combine both situations under 1 roof. Just to cover the bills. This can be hard to have a team concept…
With the rise of independents turning to rental, we have seen companies like Sola Salon Studios flourish. The salon suite brand has started to begin global expansion—their first location in Toronto opened in October 2017—and Sola continues to move rapidly forward.
They’re 13 years old but five years ago they only had only 70 locations. Today, they are close to 400 open locations, nationwide. And continue to open 55 to 60 locations a year, and are approaching ten-thousand stylists within their Sola suites. Do you have one in your town yet? If you don’t, they may be soon. This unfortunately won’t help those salons with employees.
One of the ways that I help salons AND independents stay profitable is having a system where they can ALL work together and lock arms and become even more successful. In a once extremely competitive industry, this has never been more crucial. The power of everyone working together creates a team culture where everyone celebrates the success of each other.
I offer additional support in entrepreneurial coaching and in salon support with implementing programs to increase revenue.
Next week: How Local Salons Can’t Compete With Drybar and Glamsquad and the deregulation of our industry.
They’ll have to figure out how to adapt if they want to stay afloat.
Do you have a LOVE for the cosmetics industry? Motives Cosmetics is looking for motivated trendsetters who love make up, fashion, and health to help with the expansion of the award winning line Nationwide and we are having a LIVE webinar Thursday August 31st […]
This May is a very special time for me because not only is it my anniversary for establishing my UnFranchise business, but this year Market America is celebrating their 25th year since they started the company. I thought that this is a perfect time to write about Why MLM wasn’t for me and “Why” I chose Market America over any other company and “What” it has done for me.
Maybe it is because I had a traditional business, but honestly I have always been looking for the right vehicle. When I was approached about this business, I had a preconceived notion.
I had a little experience with some MLM (multi-level marketing companies) and it left me with a bad impression. I liked the products but I was “Signed Up” without knowing & found out on accident that the pay isn’t all that great for the average person-Anyone else ever get a check for $.72?
So, I thought Market America was just one of those things…and it took my friend and salon business partner, Deborah 6 months to get me to even look at their business plan. And in all honesty it was only because I knew her daughter was having life changing results with the health and nutrition products that peaked my interest.
When I finally evaluated the UnFranchise System, this is what I saw:
- The company started in 1992 and has GROWN exponentially every year
- Since then, they have generated over $7.3 BILLION in accumulated retail sales
- They have paid over ½ back to the UnFranchise Owners & Individuals have earned over $3.8 billion in commissions and retail profits
- They offer hundreds of exclusive branded products and services over 15 different billion dollar industries including health & wellness, weightloss, cosmetics, skincare, personal care, baby, pet health, home & garden, automotive care, web solutions, entertainment, etc.
- Over 40 million additional products/services through affiliates and direct partners on their SHOP.COM internet marketing platform
- Headquartered in Greensboro, N.C., with international operations in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Mexico, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States. Emerging markets include the Bahamas, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Jamaica, New Zealand and Panama.
- Market America has an A+ rating with the BBB & has been awarded the Torch Award for business ethics
They are a reparable company that has continued to grow that allows me to offer the most sought after products in billion dollar markets across the world.
It’s also a platform that I can leverage by matching people up to the high quality products they are looking for and gives me the ability to have business partners that specialize in all of these different markets.
They have a proven business system that is meant for the average person to build a significant residual income that has produced hundreds of millionaires-these individuals earned at least a million dollars in commissions-it’s not that they sold a million dollars…
What makes their compensation plan different?
There are many, but these stood out to me the most, but before you read on here’s a great video to consider: Things to Avoid When Looking at Top MLM/Network Marketing Companies
- Like a franchise, Market America provides systemization, standardization, state-of-the-art management systems, merchandising and marketing tools, growing visibility and the opportunity to own multiple business locations. However, unlike a franchise, there are no franchise fees, monthly royalties, territorial restrictions, little to no risks and minimal startup expenses. Instead of paying the franchisor a royalty, Market America pays you commissions and retail profits from sales through your SHOP.COM website and referral network.
- UnFranchise Owners can begin on a part-time basis with flexible hours
- It’s NOT a MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) compensation plan. In fact you don’t get paid on levels, or percentages on others sales, your volume doesn’t disappear at the end of the month, there are no break aways and you don’t get paid on recruiting.
- You get to work with a team of people that help and support each other because you ALL earn 100% of the volume, and you can have as many people on your team as you want…I know, but it’s true and you have to see the business plan to understand how.
- Because of the above, there is no need to have thousands of customers, you only need 10-15 customers
- You earn 30-300% gross retail profits from our exclusive markets
- Commissions are paid out weekly, and the smallest check you’ll get is $300
- You can earn unlimited income
- You get to utilize the Shopping Annuity and save and earn money on the things you are going to buy any way and you can help others by showing them too
- You can start with a minimum investment that yield huge tax advantages
- This is an on-line franchise that goes with you anywhere. You don’t need a physical location
- The training system is the best I have experienced
- You get to combine technology with one to one marketing
I could keep going but if you want to see the business plan, but you really need to see for yourself 🙂
What has all of this done for me?
- The biggest is that I have my time back! I owned a traditional business-a salon, and I was married to my business. I loved being behind the chair, but being a seasoned stylist, I was working extremely long hours. And when I wasn’t behind the chair, I was working behind the scenes making sure the salon would stay successful.
When you have a career in the beauty industry unfortunately you end up working nights and weekends. When my kids were little it wasn’t as much of an issue, but when they started school, I would drop them off in the morning and I wouldn’t see them until the next day.
When I was introduced to Market America, I was really just interested in the amazing exclusive products and started to integrate them into the salon. Not only was I having amazing results, but clients and family were too.
- It has given me my health back! I wasn’t the healthiest person when I entered the cosmetology field, and continued exposure to the chemicals we have to use to perform hair services didn’t make things any better, and I developed auto-immune disorders and other inflammatory disorders & misc. symptoms. The nutraceuticals have improved the way that I feel so much which is so invaluable.
- I am able to help so many with the products because they work. They are all backed by science and give results
- I help people SAVE money and actually earn money on their purchases, and the company has paid over $30 MILLION to our customers
- I am able to still work within my profession which is my PASSION
- The training system has taught me how to be a better wife, mother, friend and business woman. The self-growth that I have had is unexplainable.
- I have the tools and knowledge to mentor others regardless of their background and change their lives too!
- I have found a tribe of people who have become some of my best friends, they are my Framily
- I became a Certified National Trainer so that I can empower even more entrepreneurs
- I am building a willable asset and leaving a legacy for my children
- I have built a significant ongoing income
- I get a return on almost everything I buy
I have finally found the right vehicle to do whatever it is I want to do…and this is just the beginning!! I could keep writing, but I think you should just check it out for yourself and if it’s not for you, then find something to help you achieve your goals and I will see you at the top!
If you want more information on how you can start your own UnFranchise fill out this form and I will contact you.