If you’re anything like me, you’ve always longed for a flawless face. I have struggled in the past with acne and oily skin, and that combination is not one that usually yields a flawless finish. Luckily for you, I’ve tried just about everything out there, […]
What color lipstick works best for your skin tone? I am going to walk you through which shade ranges and undertones will best compliment your complexion.
Do you know your undertone? Your skin tone, aka undertone, is different from your complexion, which is the depth of your skin (light, medium, dark). Your undertone will remain the same no matter how much sun you get, even if you’re pale in the winter and tan in the summer. There are three different undertones – cool, warm, and neutral. Determining your skin tone can be helpful in many ways–it can help you choose the best blush or lipstick color, help you know which hair color is most flattering, and even which color clothes you should wear to really look like a million bucks!
Cool vs. Warm
Before I help you determine your skin tone, let’s cover some basic color theory about cool and warm colors.
Alright, now that we have those basics covered are you ready to determine your skin tone is once and for all? Follow these steps:
1. Wash your face
Start with bare skin. Your skin should be clean and free of makeup and lotion. Make sure you wait about 15 minutes, as your skin may appear pink from scrubbing and make it difficult to see your true undertone.
2. Find natural light
Different lightbulbs can change the way your skin looks. They are usually warm or cool and they may cast different colors on your skin, and interfere with the appearance of your skin tone. Choosing a spot by a window to look for your undertone will prevent you from misjudging what you see.
3. What color are your veins?
Look at the color of the veins on the inside of your wrist. This is a quick way to determine your undertones-if your veins are visible. Hold up your arm in the natural light and determine the predominant color.
If your veins appear green, you likely have a warm skin tone.
If your veins appear blue or purple, you likely have a cool skin tone.
And if you can’t tell if your veins are green or blue, or you see both colors-you may have a neutral skin tone. If you have an olive complexion, you likely fall into this category.
4. How does your skin normally react to the sun?
Do you tan easily? Do you burn or get freckles? The amount of melanin in your skin determines how it reacts to sun exposure and can help you determine your skin tone.
If you tan easily and rarely burn, you have more melanin and you likely have a warm or neutral skin tone.
If your skin burns and doesn’t tan, you have less melanin and therefore a cooler skin tone.
Some women with very dark, ebony skin may not burn easily but still have a cool skin tone. So keep in mind that you may have to try a few more steps to determine your undertone.
5. Hold a white piece of paper up to your face
Looking in a mirror, look at how your skin looks against the white paper. It may have a yellow cast, a blue-red or rosy cast, or it may not appear to be either, but be ashy or look like a gray color instead.
- If your skin appears yellowish or sallow beside the white paper, you have a warm skin tone.
- If your skin appears pink, rosy, or blueish-red, then you have a cool skin tone.
- If your skin appears gray, your skin probably has an olive complexion with a neutral undertone. The green from your complexion and the yellowish undertone combine to create this effect. You can experiment with neutral and warm tones, since you fall somewhere in between.
- If you can’t determine any cast of yellow, olive, or pink, you likely have a neutral skin tone. Neutral tones can look good in foundations and colors on both ends of the cool/warm spectrum.
6. Do you look best in silver or gold jewelry?
Aren’t sure? Hold a sheet of gold foil in front of your face so that it reflects light back on your skin. Note whether it makes your face look grayish or washed out, or if it enhances your skin. Then try with a sheet of silver foil.
- If the gold foil looks best, you have a warm skin tone.
- If the reflection from the silver foil makes your skin glow, you have a cool skin tone.
- If you don’t notice a difference (both silver and gold are flattering), then you likely have a neutral skin tone.
- If you don’t have gold or silver foil, try laying gold and silver jewelry on your wrist to see which one is more flattering.
7. Look behind your ear and inner wrist
If you have acne, rosacea, melasma, or another condition that might mask your skin tone, have someone look at the the skin directly behind the shell of your ear or backside of your neck, as this area is less likely to be affected. You can even look at your inner wrists.
Have them look at the skin right in the little crease behind your ear.
- If your skin is yellowish, then your skin tone is warm.
- If your skin is pink or rosy, then your skin tone is cool.
- If they have difficulty determining, they can hold a white piece of paper near the skin. That should help them see if it appears yellow or pink.
8. Look at your eyes
Your eye color can be a key to determining your undertones. Lighter eyes like blue and pale brown usually mean you have cool undertones, while gold flecks usually indicate warm undertones.
- For example, ice blue eyes usually means you have cool skin, while honey brown eyes usually mean you have warm skin.
Let me ask you again…do you know your skin tone? After going through each step above, I hope that it finally answered this question once and for all!!
Focused, Fabulous and ready for the hustle this palette is packed with shimmer and matte shades with high color payoff to meet your boss status expectations
Everyone has been loving the new Thrill Me Collection and I must say, I have been using it almost daily! There are so many looks that you can achieve with it. Check out these looks that I think everyone can get inspired by!
Bring out a variety of looks this Spring using the new Thrill Me Palette. All new, chic eye shadows and a versatile lipstick/blush that can be added to any look to truly bring out yourself. Being you is thrilling enough, so utilize this palette to capture your true look. These six eye shadows are easily blended to go on as a wet or dry look or add a simple swipe to either your cheeks or your lips for the perfect highlight.
- Begin by applying “Cream” (Nude Palette) onto the brow bone
- Using “Intense” (Thrill Me Palette) shadow Pat onto the lid
- Using a fluffy brush and “Love Me” shadow blend into the crease
- Pat “Crystalline” (Thrill Me Palette) onto the center of the lid
- Blend “Intense” onto the lower lash line and “Flipside” closest to the lower lashes for some dimension!
- Apply “Cream” to the inner corner of the eye.
Get the look
- Use the new Liquid Metal Eyeshadow in the shade “Sassy” as an eyeliner for your top and bottom lashes.
- Add “Stoked” from the Thril Me Palette to your inner corner for a pop of yellow highlight.
Get the look
- Start by blending “Flipside”from the Thrill Me Palette into the outer v of your crease, and lower lash line.
- Then apply “Intense” over the entire lid.
- Lastly add “Crystalline” in the inner corner.
Get the look
- Begin by applying “Flipside” from the Thrill Me Palette in your crease.
- Then apply “Stoked” to the center of your lid.
- Lastly use “Epic” as highlight on your cheaks and brow bone.
- Finish off with a healthy coat of mascara.
Get the look
- Apply “Epic” from the Thrill Me Palette all over your lid into the crease.
- Then apply a healthy coat of mascara and add lashes #112.
Which one are you excited to try? I’d love to see it!
The launch of our new Motives Thrill Me Campaign stole the show this weekend at the World Conference in Miami! We finally got to share the new Motives products with everyone. Get ready to add some of these flirty spring colors makeup routine with all of […]
This month I want to help you get the perfect gifts for those hard to buy women. I did all of the work for you with these must have beauty bundles for this Holliday, so you don’t have to wonder what to put together!
Holiday Beauty Bundle
The Motives Boxed Beauty is an essential palette featuring six eye shadows and two blushes with a convenient mirror and brush inside. It’s the perfect gift for any fashionista who wants access to hot cosmetics at any time — and it’s got most of her beautiful face covered!
But what about her lips? The Motives MUAH Vanilla Lip Scrub is gentle yet an effective scrub that will help lips reach their full pout potential. It utilizes sugar to buff away dry skin to reveal supple, smooth lips, and I suggest following up with the Motives MUAH Vanilla Lip Mask. This is a leave-on lip treatment that seals in moisture and smooths for the perfect pout. She will also LOVE the Lumière de Vie Renewal Elixir! It’s a luxurious, superior facial oil that deeply moisturizes and reduces the appearance of aging for a youthful-looking, healthy glow. Who doesn’t want that?
You get her the entire bundle, and you can be sure this is a gift she’ll be sure to LOVE! And you may want to put a few of these products on your list. They sure make the prefect stocking stuffers!
I am also including a MOTIVES makeup bag with the purchase of each bundle
Here is how Motives Beauty Advisor Brittany Kimble used the new Holiday Beauty Bundle!
1. For the eye look, I started out using the Motives Eye Base over the entire lid.
2. Next I blended Motives Pressed Eye Shadow in Cappuccino in my crease as a transition color followed by the shade Vino on the lower outer V crease for some added warmth and depth.
3. Using the Motives Boxed Beauty Palette I applied the pink shade in the center of my lid.
4. I popped the purple shade between the center pink shade and Vino.
5. For my inner corner, I used the champagne color to bring a little more brightness. I also sprayed my brush with Motives 10 Years Younger Setting Spray for a more foiled technique.
6. The blush was absolutely beautiful along with the golden highlight shade in the palette, I absolutely LOVED it!!!
7. I finished out the look by filling my brows in with the Motives Brow Kit.
8. For my lips, which were insanely soft and smooth from the Muah Vanilla Lip Scrub and Mask, I used Motives Kohl Eyeliner-Coffee to line and blend into my lips followed by Motives Metallic Paints Pink Latte.
Here is how Motives Beauty Advisor Beauty Advisor Clarissa Jones used the Holiday Beauty Bundle!
1. I treated my lips with Motives Vanilla Scrub and Vanilla Mask after my skincare routine.
2. Fill in brows with dark brown in Motives Essential Brow Kit.
3. Clean under brows with Motives Liquid Concealer in medium light
4. Apply Motives Eye Base over mobile lid and crease of the eye.
5. Start with Golden Blush from Boxed Beauty Palette on blend above the crease for a transition color
6. Blend Dark Brown eyeshadow from Boxed Beauty in outer V and inner eye.
7. Place Blue eyeshadow from Boxed Beauty in middle of the lid up to the crease.
8. Blend Dark Brown and Blue eyeshadow from Boxed Beauty on the lower lid.
9. After foundation, contouring, and highlighting, use Golden Blush from Boxed Beauty to highlight cheek and Pink Blush on cheeks
10. Winged eyeliner created with Motives liquid eyeliner and topped off with bold lashes
Need more ideas? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
No one wants to find yourself under the mistletoe with dry, cracked, flakey lips!! PUCKER UP!!
Get plush and hydrated lips with this dynamic duo 💋💋
Step 1: Buff away dry skin & help your lips reach their full pout potential with Motives® MUAH Vanilla Lip Scrub-This nourishing formula utilizes sugar to to reveal supple, smooth lips that are prepped for an infusion of flawless color.
Step 2: Apply Motives® MUAH Vanilla Lip Mask. This silky lip mask is infused with shea butter for effortless nourishment while emollients smooth for ultimate suppleness, and the sweetly subtle taste of vanilla is the cherry on top. This leave on lip treatment that seals in moisture and smooths for the perfect pout. This versatile treatment can be applied under your favorite Motives lip color or as an overnight lip mask.
Who doesn’t want SOFT lips this season?!? Get this duo here! MUAH
One thing I love about the holiday season is the fact that we can look forward to traditions.
Whether it’s shopping with friends, a romantic date, or coffee and cookie backing… it all looks and feels better with a bright & cheery red lip and some extra glow to match the twinkle in your eye
Adding a bold liner to your top lid is the perfect pair to a bold red lip (think Marilyn Monroe signature look)
Here is your guide for working with this combo of product:
😚 Our Pressed Highlighters are sure to please, as they offer Gold, Neutral or Rose tones!
(Goddess / Bombshell / Starshine / Rose Diamond)
👌 Liquid Gold Shimmer has no rules & offers a creamy, soft glow wherever it lands. Try on cheekbones, you cupids bow, brow bone, collarbones, eye lids, etc.!
💋 Choose ‘Sorry not Sorry’ or Scandalous for a bold, matte lip and keep your holiday cheer from spreading to your coffee cup or lover’s lips!
👁️ Our Luxe Precision liner offers incredible staying power, while being effortless to apply. More pressure means a thicker line, so sweet gently for a subtle line or apply some pressure if you like the drama
Sexy & Sophisticated
Sexy & Sophisticated, these sultry shades make the naughty list look nice!💋💋
In the Nude is the dreamiest mistake-proof palette of barely-there colors that features six incredible eye shadows, a sizzling bronzer and a lip shine to sweeten the pot. A must for every woman, this beauty essential also comes with two easy-to-follow tutorials so you can achieve your favorite looks.
Pair it with Motives® Ultra Matte Lipstick-Seduced and Motives® Fiber Lush Mascara and you may just find yourself under the mistletoe even after the Holidays. Get the bundle here!
Glitz & Glam
Swipe on something shimmery & bright with the Glitz & Glam Bundle!
Put on a set of false eyelashes made with natural hair fibers for an alluring, natural look. Create the look of bigger, fuller, more inviting eyes with our collection of false eyelashes. Using our easy to apply glitter adhesive, you’ll have the perfect clear base to hold your favorite glitter on all day & night!
Metallic Paint Liquid Lip in Delight is the perfect color to complement this look. This lip stain is full of long-lasting coverage. Flaunt fiercely bold lips with these vibrant, metallic hues.
Finish off your look with adding the right amount of glow with the Halo Pressed Blush. You can get the Glam & Glitz Bundle here!
Under The Mistletoe
Who ACTUALLY hangs mistletoe in their home? Comment below!
Whether it’s just in theory, or you spend time locking lips under this festive bundle… we can all appreciate the concept!
We wanted to offer up a product collection that offers you a romantic look for a dreamy date night (or moment under the mistletoe 😘)
MIX IT UP with our freshly launched shadow palette offering creamy, earthy hues and add to the drama by lining those lashes with our Little Black Dress Gel Liner.
Sweep on a little color to your cheeks with your favorite pressed blush (Peach Beige is one of our favs!)
And pucker up those lips with your favorite red lipstick and or complete your pout with Kiss Me mineral lip shine. Get this bundle here!